Monday, August 8, 2011

Not "Good Enough"

The first event I ever attended as a reenactor was Brandy Station, Virginia. My good friend, Sean Pridgeon, rounded up gear for me and helped me out in every way you could possibly think of. I remember arriving at the event during the early evening hours. The sky was dark, and swollen clouds were drifting in our direction. Within an hour of arriving, the temperature dropped into the 40’s and I was soaked from the heavy rain. “What have I gotten myself into?”, I thought. That event was miserable, and yet, I was hooked on reenacting. In fact, all of the “miserable” moments I have experienced in reenacting are the ones that I cherish the most. They’ve helped me grow as a reenactor, and to further appreciate the history and lifestyle of the boys of ‘61-’65.

After McDowell in 2003, I took a break from reenacting. I was doing 2-3 events every month, and I was beginning to burn out. In June of 2011, I decided that it was time to hit the field again. I picked a small event 5 miles from my house (Jerusalem Mill, MD), and after talking about it, my friend Rance expressed interest in attending the event. Between Sean and myself, Rance was outfitted and ready to go. I explained to him that Sean and myself are of the “campaigner” mindset, and that we do some things differently. To my surprise, the event at Jerusalem Mill had a decent number of campaigners attending. We went through the day; drill, wait in camp, reconnaissance scenario, wait in camp, battle, etc. As we were sitting in the shade after the battle, Rance said something to me that really made me think; “Why would you want to bring tents to these events? We pack up in 5 minutes and then we’re on our way. That doesn’t make sense to me.”

I honestly didn’t know how to respond. I think I tried answering with “I don’t know”, but I wasn’t satisfied with giving him that kind of response. I tried to explain how some reenactors basically ignore all of the history and documentation, but I couldn’t. Rance asked me one simple question, and I had no answer. Instead, it unlocked more questions in my own mind.

The Civil War is not a mysterious blip in American history. The documentation from 1861-1865 is incredible. Thousands of photographs, first-person accounts, illustrations, and original items are easily accessible. On top of that, countless books have been written about the Civil War. This leads me to my main topic - there is no excuse for reenactors to get so many things wrong.

I was portraying a private in the 4th Alabama at the 150th Manassas event in late July. Early war impressions can be difficult to judge, especially on the Confederate side. With that in mind, I decided to not over analyze the impressions that were on the field. Unfortunately, I saw things that I could not ignore. I was simply stunned; modern combat boots, tennis shoes, gray jeans, modern shotguns, paper kepis (the kind you find in a gift shop), WWII canteens, sunglasses, and my personal favorite, a Captain leading his men into combat with his sword raised in one hand, and texting someone on his cell phone in the other.

Photobucket
Yikes

I’m not discovering anything that hasn’t been seen or heard before. I just want to understand. What mindset does it take to deem these inaccuracies as acceptable? Is it financial? Is it laziness? Ignorance? There has to be a reason.

Before I go any further, I do want to say that I am not bashing or alienating mainstream reenactors. I am just curious. If there is someone out there that can help me understand, please leave me a comment below.

The most common answer I hear is that “Campaigning is too expensive”. I strongly disagree. I understand that you might pay more for gear that is correct, but it’s not an astronomical number. It’s not like you’ll be shelling out $5,000 for a good impression. Instead of blowing a few hundred dollars on an incorrect jacket and trousers, save that money for a good hat or jacket. Your impression doesn’t have to be put together in a few weeks. I have never, ever heard one of my reenacting friends say that they were satisfied with their impression(s). We are constantly adding and subtracting items from our impression(s), and it’s a never ending quest to “get it right”.

While some of it may be financial, I do believe that the majority of incorrect impressions are born out of laziness or ignorance. It drives me nuts when I see or hear a reenactor say “I’m out here to honor those boys, and to keep history alive” and they’re wearing a cowboy hat and slinging back a Coke inside their wall tent. “If they had it, they would have used it”. Yeah, but they didn’t have it. So don’t use it.

What would a soldier think of us? Let’s say, by an insanely ridiculous and totally unrealistic circumstance, that a soldier from 1861-1865 walked on to the field at an event. What would we look like to him? Would he be satisfied with our effort? Or would he see us as a bunch of cowboys running around making war look comical? Or would he walk back to camp and grab a slice of pizza?

Photobucket
Confederate Prisoners at Gettysburg
A Great Image of a Mid-War ANV Confederate Soldier

These are the questions that will never be answered. I don’t think that good impression(s) are impossible, nor is it a far-fetched idea that everyone should have a good impression. Take the time to research, and to find out what the armies had available during the time period of your next event. For example, wearing a Type III during an 1861 event is uncalled for and easily remedied. If you are reading this and have no idea how to move your impression forward, please feel free to contact me. Others, along with myself, have no problem helping someone improve their impression. It might be a few tweaks to your current outfit, or some advice regarding good vendors.

Let’s hope these questions do not go unanswered. Let’s abandon the “good enough” attitude. With the 150th’s upon us, let’s do our part and represent our history to the highest standard as possible.

Please feel free to contact me at KevinKutlik26@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Kev,

    This has inspired me to write a post on my own blog discussing my recent discovery of the fun of reenactment, especially given just how much creativity and thought one can put into it. This is a fantastic article, and one that really shows you know your shit. I'm glad to have been able to get into this with your knowledge to guide my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit.

    I'm not into the whole reenacting thing. I definitely respect it and think it gives great value to those who do it, but if I were given an option, I wouldn't go. It's just not my passion. However, reading this really blew my mind. It comes down what we spoke of before: I'd love to spin and handknit for the reenactments, but I'd get fiber only available at the time, with natural (non-acid) dyes and knitted with tools they only had then (so no plastic needles -- but nickle and wooden were available). You want accuracy. That's passion. I loved reading this and completely agree with you on that passion.

    I love this blog. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one time, I showed up sportin' my Airforce One's and had "Clovis", my trusty blunderbuss, at my side and they were all like "No way.". So I was all like "pls K thnx f-urselves."

    I mean, where exactly do you get off telling me that I can't add a ka-bar and flash bomb grenades strapped into NWP neoprene webbing to my impression. You can't stop me from listening to my walmart off brand mp3 player and munching on a hot pocket while I charge into glorious battle. You don't know whether or not they had that shit. You weren't there.

    What a great day.

    Peace Love
    KJG

    ReplyDelete
  4. blood thirster,
    you have no idea even what you are talking about. if you were to do that on the feild, you would be told to put it up. its not just a come and do as you please kinda thing. there are rules and if you dont follow them, you can get kicked off the event site. as for you keven thank you for writing this. i agree with you totaly. my unit is a totally campainer unit. we eat of rations, which is not to bad at all, and there are many cook books out there for rations that the recipies come from actual soldier's accounts of the war, i have yet to find a resipie that i dont like. not to mention it is cheaper. campaining itself is cheaper in the longrun, because all you need is a blanket roll and a shelter half. instead of an 80 dollar sleeping bag with a 250 dollar tent and 50-100 dollars of cook ware. yeah correct jackets are a little more expensive but not by much and they last longer and will better serve your purpose. you just have to shop around. plus most aniversary event there are guidlines that must be followed on uniforms and equiptment. if you have the stuff just dont go or go as a spectator. im really glad you wrote this have a good day.

    ReplyDelete